Today's writing prompt: What's one thing you're proud of?

"Think about something you've done and accomplished. It could be this year or 30 years ago. Ideally pick one of your most proud accomplishments to date. What is it? Who were you with? What were you doing? What actions caused you to experience the success you did? How did it feel? Did it positively impact anyone else?"
Can I be most proud of the fact that I have a son and am raising him to become this wonderful person?

For a long time in my life I felt that there is nothing that is actually my doing. Even the things I have been best at were in most part there because of my parents. Because of the actions and choices they made. Or because they coached or influenced me enough so I could get things done.
Don't get me wrong, of course I'm deeply thankful for everything they have done and are doing. It's just. At some point you want to make your own choices not only because you can but also because you have to.

I think it all changed for me after, having believed for a decade that pursuing comfort and pleasure will lead to the best possible life, I became disgusted. Initially I stumbled upon a book that set me on a new course. But this is a different story.

It's like Steve Jobs said:
"You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards."

But I must tell you, the question is not easy to answer if you have been lucky for your whole life. Partly also not because there are no easy answers for me.
I could write, that the one thing I'm most proud of, is that I have accomplished to hold my steering wheel on the course of self-discovery and -making since the breaking point. But it's not that easy and the words don't feel right.
At this hour, I feel that the thing I'm truly most proud of, is that I have accomplished to maintain healthy relationships with my loved ones - my family, my friends, my colleagues. There are unfortunately people whom I have hurt along the way. People I have been disrespectful with. Or just ignorant. And I hope they will forgive me.

To sum it up in a somewhat different way: I'm proud of actively trying to be a better human being than I was yesterday.


And if you think about it, raising my son is also one way of being a good human being and positively impacting the world around me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Am So Passionate About Helping People

There Flows Goodness In Us

The Natural Power Of The Beginner's Mind